Minnesota Reptiles & Amphibians
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Minnesota Reptiles & Amphibians

A place for Minnesota reptile and amphibian keepers to connect.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Monitor keepers

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Reptile_Dude

Reptile_Dude

Number of posts : 95
Registration date : 2008-08-31

Monitor keepers Empty
PostSubject: Monitor keepers   Monitor keepers Icon_minitimeSat Oct 25, 2008 1:35 pm

Does anyone on here keep a species of monitor? I'm considering getting an Ackie Monitor or two in the future so I thought it would be neat to get this section of the forum into swing.... Wink
Back to top Go down
Don

Don

Number of posts : 192
Registration date : 2008-09-07

Monitor keepers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Monitor keepers   Monitor keepers Icon_minitimeSat Oct 25, 2008 2:17 pm

the store kyle works at has a red ackie on display. he isn't the nicest.

I have been toying with the idea of getting a asian water moniter for a while, just haven't followed through yet
Back to top Go down
kyle

Number of posts : 137
Registration date : 2008-09-17

Monitor keepers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Monitor keepers   Monitor keepers Icon_minitimeSun Oct 26, 2008 10:55 am

In general, red ackies are very tame and docile. They will eat you out of house and home just like any other monitor would, so save your pennies Smile If you have never had one before, a red ackie is a good choice. I would start off with one because they do not always get along. At the store we tryed to get a younger female for the male (haku) we already have and they were very aggressive toward each other. Also make sure to do a lot of research before you do buy. The temp for a red ackie's hot spot is over 110degrees so the humidity is needed to be at 40-50% to keep thier toes from falling off during shedding, which is hard to do with such a high temp. But not to detur you from getting one cuz like I said before they are a good choice for a first time monitor keeper, but just make sure you do some research and if you are going to buy onlline, do it in the spring or summer months.

Good Luck
Kyle www.freewebs.com/kyleherp/
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/kyleherp/
Elyria

Elyria

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2008-09-02

Monitor keepers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Monitor keepers   Monitor keepers Icon_minitimeFri Oct 31, 2008 11:57 am

I have a juvinle savvanna, I have had adults in the past.......monitors can be one of two ways in my exsperiance either they are lovers....or they are nasty ...usally they can become tolerant and sweet, you can really tell by the personality when you handle them....

they do eat you out of house and home though and some species can get quite large so make sure you have enough room and a good monitor food budget
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Monitor keepers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Monitor keepers   Monitor keepers Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Monitor keepers
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Minnesota Reptiles & Amphibians :: Lizard Discussion :: Monitors-
Jump to: