Minnesota Reptiles & Amphibians
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Minnesota Reptiles & Amphibians

A place for Minnesota reptile and amphibian keepers to connect.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Best starter Dart Frog?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Reptile_Dude

Reptile_Dude

Number of posts : 95
Registration date : 2008-08-31

Best starter Dart Frog? Empty
PostSubject: Best starter Dart Frog?   Best starter Dart Frog? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 20, 2008 12:41 am

I've been considering journeying into the mysterious world of dart frog keeping. I have some books in for me at the local library, but my impatience is eating me alive so I'll ask some of the questions that I was hoping the books would answer for me here.

What is the best starter dart frog, along with a brief overview of its requirments. Are there any noteworthy dart frog breeders that you would recomend? Are there any websites about these fantastic frogs that you would recomend?

Thanks in advance!
Back to top Go down
jasondart

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2008-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Best starter Dart Frog?   Best starter Dart Frog? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 26, 2008 3:04 pm

Sorry, I did not get to this earlier. I don't visit here much.

What is the best starter frog? It is a common question. I would say any auratus, azureus or tinc species.

Before you even get any frogs get some fruit fly cultures. Don't get the crappy ones you see at the pet store. I can help you out if you need some. Learn to culture fruit flies first and foremost. The frogs are very small and fruit flies are the best and easiest food to get for them. Pinhead crickets are ok to use sometimes, but have a lot of chitin (sp) in them and are not best. Once you get fruit fly culturing down, you are ready for frogs.

There are a few people locally (with in 2 hours from the Twin Cities) that you can get some frogs from. The frogs require a well planted, well draining tank with temps between 72 to 78 degrees. Humidity should remain above 80%. These tanks are called vivariums.

The best website for searching information is www.dendroboard.com. Spend a lot of time with the search feature, then ask questions if you can't find the answer. You can always contact me if you like. PM me and I will give you my phone number. I am just getting back into the hobby and after a year and a half with no frogs it is fun to be building new tanks.
Back to top Go down
Reptile_Dude

Reptile_Dude

PostSubject: Re: Best starter Dart Frog?   Best starter Dart Frog? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 29, 2008 12:13 am

Thank you for the help! I'm researching fruit fly culturing, natural vivariums, and of course beginner darts. Dendrobates azureus is what I will probably go with, but thats jumping a little far ahead. Also, that you for the Dendroboard link, that is a very helpful place. Well, I'm going to get back to researching more about these extraordinary frogs...and eating Thanksgiving leftovers... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
jasondart

PostSubject: Re: Best starter Dart Frog?   Best starter Dart Frog? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 29, 2008 11:25 pm

Shoot me a PM and I will give you my cell # if you want it. I will help answer any questions or even post them up here. There are a lot of decent places around the cities to get stuff for natural vivariums, you just have to know where to look.
Back to top Go down
Reptile_Dude

Reptile_Dude

PostSubject: Re: Best starter Dart Frog?   Best starter Dart Frog? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 02, 2008 4:36 pm

I've been looking into various reptile/exotic animal stores around the cities and am assuming that they would be good places to purchase natural terrerium supplies. I'll probably put a spider plant in with my darts.

I also have an 18x18x18 in. exo-terra habitat that I'll probably use for the frog(s), though I also have a couple spare 10 gallon tanks around.

Also, any tips that you can give which you've learned from personal experience on fruit fly culturing would be well recieved. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
jasondart

PostSubject: Re: Best starter Dart Frog?   Best starter Dart Frog? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 02, 2008 7:05 pm

Reptile_Dude wrote:
I've been looking into various reptile/exotic animal stores around the cities and am assuming that they would be good places to purchase natural terrerium supplies. I'll probably put a spider plant in with my darts.

I don't want to knock any of the local shops, but they really don't carry a lot of natural items. Maybe some cork bark. Your best bet is to go to hydroponic stores or greenhouses.

Here are 2 I recommend.

http://www.interiorgardens.com/
Located in Mpls. You can get cocofiber as well as LECA pellets for drainage. They also have some killer lighting systems.

http://www.orchidweb.com/
Located in Plymouth. This place is purely awesome. Thousands and thousands of orchids. They have many supplies used in vivarium building. Cork bark, tree fern panels Ingredients for ABG (Atlanta Botanical Gardens) substrate mix.

The ABG mix is 2 parts tree fern fiber, 1 part peat moss, 2 parts cocofiber, 1 part charcoal, and 2 parts orchid bark.

Quote :
I also have an 18x18x18 in. exo-terra habitat that I'll probably use for the frog(s), though I also have a couple spare 10 gallon tanks around.

A 10 gallon is too small. 20+is the way to go. The exo-terra would be good, but they need to be sealed up a little with silicone to fruit fly proof them and help maintain humidity.

Quote :
Also, any tips that you can give which you've learned from personal experience on fruit fly culturing would be well recieved. Very Happy

Fruit fly culturing is easy, but it is best to get a handle on it before you get frogs. I make a big batch.

6 cups potato flakes
1 cup powdered sugar
1/2 cup brewers yeast

Mix it all together and take a 1/2 cup and put it in fruit fly container. Add 2/3 cup of room temp 50/50 vin/water and mix well. Add coffee filter or excelesor and add flies. Pretty easy, nothing exact.

Keep the flies in the dark (but really should not matter) at about 73 deg.
Back to top Go down
Reptile_Dude

Reptile_Dude

PostSubject: Re: Best starter Dart Frog?   Best starter Dart Frog? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 05, 2008 12:48 am

Alright. I've decided that I will start out with D. Leucomelas. However, I need to master fruit fly culturing first. Though it may be until after Christmas that I can get a colony started, do you know of any reliable sources to get fruit flys (just planning ahead)?
Back to top Go down
jasondart

PostSubject: Re: Best starter Dart Frog?   Best starter Dart Frog? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 05, 2008 1:32 am

I can hook you up, otherwise try here.

http://www.joshsfrogs.com/catalog/category_info/89_21/feeder-insects-supplies-fruit-flies-culturing-supplies

http://www.edsflymeat.com/
Back to top Go down
Reptile_Dude

Reptile_Dude

PostSubject: Re: Best starter Dart Frog?   Best starter Dart Frog? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 09, 2008 12:11 am

Thanks! I'll let you know when I'm ready for them.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Best starter Dart Frog?   Best starter Dart Frog? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Best starter Dart Frog?
Page 1 of 1