Minnesota Reptiles & Amphibians
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Minnesota Reptiles & Amphibians

A place for Minnesota reptile and amphibian keepers to connect.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Concern for Winter

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Lil_country_girl

Lil_country_girl

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2008-11-02

Concern for Winter Empty
PostSubject: Concern for Winter   Concern for Winter Icon_minitimeWed Nov 26, 2008 3:05 am

OK so I live in the middle of no where and so proud. During the winter in storms our power likes to go out (Yippie) We are also usually one of the last places to get our power turned back on. So I know that supposedly my tanks shouldn't get to cold if i leave them closed but They did once last year and I'm worried about that happening again. I've heard it's a no no to use the little hand a foot warmer things to keep the tanks warm, so what do you guys suggest in a last minute crunch. Keep in mind when the storms hit and the power is out I usually can't get out of my house for some time. Thanks! Much appreciated. santa
Back to top Go down
TwistedSerpent

TwistedSerpent

Number of posts : 38

Concern for Winter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Concern for Winter   Concern for Winter Icon_minitimeWed Nov 26, 2008 6:25 am

Those 40 hour heat packs would be great just in case (they can get too hot though, so I wouldnt let the animal come in direct contact with it). Depending on what you keep as long as the house remains above 40F many species will tolerate it fine too. If you have acess to hot water that can be used too. As an ultra last resort, you can bag or contain them insome way and put them under the covers with you.
Back to top Go down
http://www.TwistedSerpent.com
Don

Don

Number of posts : 192
Registration date : 2008-09-07

Concern for Winter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Concern for Winter   Concern for Winter Icon_minitimeWed Nov 26, 2008 9:04 am

Last edited by Don on Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Lil_country_girl

Lil_country_girl

Concern for Winter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Concern for Winter   Concern for Winter Icon_minitimeWed Nov 26, 2008 10:28 am

The one i'm really worried about is the BRB The corn might have more trouble though because he has a glass aquarium with a mesh top and the top has nothing over it unlike the BRB's. If I can use the heat packs than that's great cause those would be easy to just stock up on. So here is my other question as much as I pray to god this doesn't happen could I use the heat pack underneath some towels in my snakes carrier if we have to do a winter vet visit?
Back to top Go down
TwistedSerpent

TwistedSerpent

Number of posts : 38

Concern for Winter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Concern for Winter   Concern for Winter Icon_minitimeWed Nov 26, 2008 3:16 pm

The corn would be perfectly fine, they can handle temps as low as 40F. Also perhaps if you know its going to be a few days find someone nearish with power who is willing to house them temporarily. The heat pack would be fine for transport too; if it wasnt for them it would make shipping animals in the winter impossible.
Back to top Go down
http://www.TwistedSerpent.com
Lil_country_girl

Lil_country_girl

Concern for Winter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Concern for Winter   Concern for Winter Icon_minitimeWed Nov 26, 2008 6:01 pm

I didn't even think about that thanks amanda
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Concern for Winter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Concern for Winter   Concern for Winter Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Concern for Winter
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Minnesota Reptiles & Amphibians :: Reptile & Amphibian Topics :: Housing & Equipment-
Jump to: