Minnesota Reptiles & Amphibians
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Minnesota Reptiles & Amphibians

A place for Minnesota reptile and amphibian keepers to connect.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Opinions/Ideas Wanted

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Lil_country_girl

Lil_country_girl

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2008-11-02

Opinions/Ideas Wanted Empty
PostSubject: Opinions/Ideas Wanted   Opinions/Ideas Wanted Icon_minitimeSat Jan 03, 2009 11:48 am

Okay. So I asked about this in RF got some great ideas and such but now I want to hear your ideas/ opinions on my housing project.

So I want to put my trio of trouble in one 4x4ish area.. My original Idea was to build something that was just the wood and slidding glass doors but i'm not liking the sliding glass door Idea so much anymore. I am however loving the viv's with the single door that comes down in front on a hinge. This is what I have so far as just a rough idea

Opinions/Ideas Wanted Picture1

I'm thinking to make the drawers on the bottem a foot tall the cages 18" tall and 4 feet wide total. Which would give the corn a 3'x2'x18" and the Leopard gecko a 1'x2'x18" and the Boa 4'x2'x 18". I've also been wondering about the set ups like they use in the pet stores where it's covered on top and than when you remove the covering it slides out and you can open it at the top. But I was thinking if I did the front hinge that would give me room to play around with ventilation there and not trying to figure out how to get it in the sides and such. So what do you guys think? Am I just far out crazy or is there someway I can do this?
Back to top Go down
blfresh

blfresh

Number of posts : 88
Registration date : 2008-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Opinions/Ideas Wanted   Opinions/Ideas Wanted Icon_minitimeSat Jan 03, 2009 1:47 pm

Cool looking idea. Just a few things that you would have to consider. The BRB take very humid conditions. Corns don't need so much humidity and the leopard geckos are dry. There is also the heat factor - heating requirements for leopards are very different from corns and BRBs. I would think this would require multiple heat regulators and some way to insulate and moisture proof. Just some thoughts to consider. Very neat looking set up. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Lil_country_girl

Lil_country_girl

PostSubject: Re: Opinions/Ideas Wanted   Opinions/Ideas Wanted Icon_minitimeSat Jan 03, 2009 4:01 pm

I was thinking of kinda polying the walls of the wood for the brb. If I put like a plexiglass bottom in them I could use a uth. and run them through a panel in the back maybe. Someone else brought up radiat tape or something. If I did like they do at the pet store it would be just like sitting the tank we have now in there on rollers which I really would rather not have but.... yeah any more ideas?
Back to top Go down
Don

Don

Number of posts : 192
Registration date : 2008-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Opinions/Ideas Wanted   Opinions/Ideas Wanted Icon_minitimeSat Jan 03, 2009 5:45 pm

I would say its very do-able. I think the best and easiest way to regulate the different temp and humidity needs of your pets would be to wire in light fixtures(very easy to do) and then you just have to play with the wattage of the bulbs. It would be best to put a few coats of polyurethane on everything to prevent the wood from dry rotting and also to keep poo from being absorbed in the wood. You can use more vents for the leo to keep the humidity down. That would be a cool setup and be a good display piece for the animals. I have built some things like that, I can help you out with the construction if you want.
Back to top Go down
Lil_country_girl

Lil_country_girl

PostSubject: Re: Opinions/Ideas Wanted   Opinions/Ideas Wanted Icon_minitimeSat Jan 03, 2009 6:02 pm

Help planning and if construction goes south would be awesome lol. So do you think I could do the pull down door?
Back to top Go down
Lil_country_girl

Lil_country_girl

PostSubject: Re: Opinions/Ideas Wanted   Opinions/Ideas Wanted Icon_minitimeSat Jan 03, 2009 6:04 pm

I'm really uncomfortable with heat lights because my brb and my corn are very exploritive and i'm very afraid they would touch it and burn themselves
Back to top Go down
Don

Don

Number of posts : 192
Registration date : 2008-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Opinions/Ideas Wanted   Opinions/Ideas Wanted Icon_minitimeSat Jan 03, 2009 7:21 pm

whatever you need help with just ask. You can email me, it might be easier. dngroninger@hotmail.com

The doors won't be a problem. I can show you a couple ways to do them. You can do fluorescent tubes for light if you want lighting and then use heat tape or heat panels. That way you won't have to worry about the snakes.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Opinions/Ideas Wanted   Opinions/Ideas Wanted Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Opinions/Ideas Wanted
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Minnesota Reptiles & Amphibians :: Reptile & Amphibian Topics :: Housing & Equipment-
Jump to: