Minnesota Reptiles & Amphibians
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Minnesota Reptiles & Amphibians

A place for Minnesota reptile and amphibian keepers to connect.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Female Occidentalis

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Bryan

Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2008-08-30

Female Occidentalis Empty
PostSubject: Female Occidentalis   Female Occidentalis Icon_minitimeSat Aug 30, 2008 2:24 pm

Female Occidentalis 001-13
Female Occidentalis 008-12
Female Occidentalis 009-11
Female Occidentalis 013-8

She's not quite the looker her bf is....but I like her!
Back to top Go down
blfresh

blfresh

Number of posts : 88

PostSubject: Re: Female Occidentalis   Female Occidentalis Icon_minitimeThu Sep 04, 2008 10:08 am

Hey Bryan - How big is she? She has a beautiful pattern. I love boas - gotta get some pics of mine up.
Back to top Go down
kristy55303

kristy55303

Number of posts : 140

PostSubject: nice again bryan!   Female Occidentalis Icon_minitimeThu Sep 04, 2008 12:31 pm

very cool...and i think she is just as nice Wink do you know how much they both weigh and length. they are huge looking to me! kristy:)
Back to top Go down
Bryan

PostSubject: Re: Female Occidentalis   Female Occidentalis Icon_minitimeThu Sep 04, 2008 1:11 pm

She is a little over 7 feet long and still growing (her mom is a true ten footer). I don't know the wieght.

Her mother is an F1 (first generation born in captivity). Dad is an F2. There aren't many F1's left and it's doubtful there will be any new WC (wild caught) exported since they are on the endagered species list. It is currently illegal to get WC.

Occidentalis are really neat boas. These boa come from the farthest south of any boa constrictor and it gets cold enough in their home range for trees to drop leaves during the cold season. I read a study where boa from Peru, Col, Occidentalis and the large pythons (retics, burms) where put in indoor/outdoor enclosures in a climate that has seasonal freezes. The enclsures were set up to allow acces to inside with heat and allowed them to go outside during the whole year. Occidentalis was the only one that wouldn't go outside during life threatening cold temperatures. I guess this is to be expected given their home climate, but I was surprised the others would go outside during freezing temps and had to brought back in before they froze.

Both of mine are extremely calm and will come from the other side of their enclosures (8feet) to investigate if you open one of the doors. Neither has tried to bite after reaching about three feet in length.....as long as food isn't invloved. They have very strong feeding responses and will taste anything moving if they smell food.

The female of this locale is among the largest of boas. They may not attain the length of some bcc from a couple of locales but will outweigh them if the compared boas are of proper weight. The males are significantly less bulky and shorter.
Back to top Go down
kristy55303

kristy55303

Number of posts : 140

PostSubject: very cool   Female Occidentalis Icon_minitimeThu Sep 04, 2008 3:18 pm

cool. very cool Cool thanks for the info. I too have F1 generation poison dart frogs so i know exactly how that coding goes. Wink krisy:)
Back to top Go down
blfresh

blfresh

Number of posts : 88

PostSubject: Re: Female Occidentalis   Female Occidentalis Icon_minitimeThu Sep 04, 2008 3:33 pm

Thanks Bryan for the information. You have a nice pair of occ.
Back to top Go down
Bryan

PostSubject: Re: Female Occidentalis   Female Occidentalis Icon_minitimeFri Sep 05, 2008 2:30 pm

Thanks for the nice comments!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Female Occidentalis   Female Occidentalis Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Female Occidentalis
Page 1 of 1