Minnesota Reptiles & Amphibians
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Minnesota Reptiles & Amphibians

A place for Minnesota reptile and amphibian keepers to connect.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

just joingin today

Go down 
+3
sarah
kristy55303
Elyria
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Elyria

Elyria

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2008-09-02

just joingin today Empty
PostSubject: just joingin today   just joingin today Icon_minitimeWed Sep 03, 2008 12:12 am

Hi all just got a chance to join today My husband Jeff has already Joined so some off this list will be familiar

We currently have
3 Beardies 1 female and 2 males
3 yellow throat plated lizards 1 female and 2 males, the female is blind so we hand feed her, it is a lot of work but so rewarding when she gets the cricket and not your thumb
2 Tokays females
1 golden Gecko female
1 white lined Gecko female
7 Leopard Geckos 4 females and 3 males
1 Uromastyx
1 Egyptian red sand Lacerta
1 Bubblegum snow Corn Snake
1 Coastal Phase king snake
1 Albino rat snake
4 Leopard Frogs
2 Asian Greenback Frogs
1 common toad, I found him floating in my pond and now when I hold him he sings and throws his throat in mating behavior
And on Monday we added a Savanna Monitor who is a baby but will get big fast

More about me I am a Medical Assistant by trade and I have worked with herps since 1988 I rehabbed for 7 of those years, I have a great lot of knowledge but would not claim to know it all, actually I am one that reads the books and throws half away and does what feels right even if it is unconventional.

I am just finishing 6 vivs in rows of three and that will get rid of six aquariums but on Friday I am adding a 90g for my Monitor, although I do not know where to put it…maybe the couch will go out and we will sit on the floor, food for thought

Anything else you want to know ask

Elyria
Back to top Go down
kristy55303

kristy55303

Number of posts : 140
Registration date : 2008-08-30

just joingin today Empty
PostSubject: welcome!!   just joingin today Icon_minitimeWed Sep 03, 2008 12:44 am

I LOVE IT THAT YOU GUYS ARE INTO BOTH REPTILES AND AMPHIBIANS. oops sorry about the caps lock...lol....well welcome and look forward to more posts! kristy:) Very Happy
Back to top Go down
sarah

sarah

Number of posts : 49

just joingin today Empty
PostSubject: Re: just joingin today   just joingin today Icon_minitimeWed Sep 03, 2008 9:50 am

Welcome!

I'd love to see pictures of your vivs when you get them done.
Back to top Go down
http://northernlightsreptiles.com/blog
kristy55303

kristy55303

just joingin today Empty
PostSubject: vivs   just joingin today Icon_minitimeWed Sep 03, 2008 9:54 am

WHEN i get them done...lol....its taken a toll on me, but i'm getting there. there will be a coule showrooms but mostly breeding vivs, not as pretty as the showrooms but very nice still. i tool can't wait to show you. i believe i'll have two showrooms with water features in them opposed to the vivs w/o that will go into the dart room on a rack system . The darts surely make up for beauty in the vivs. they are gorgeous. kristy:)
Back to top Go down
Elyria

Elyria

just joingin today Empty
PostSubject: just joingin today   just joingin today Icon_minitimeWed Sep 03, 2008 9:55 am

I will up load the pics when I am finished it has taken me several months with them so it has definatley been a labor of love.....
Back to top Go down
blfresh

blfresh

Number of posts : 88

just joingin today Empty
PostSubject: Re: just joingin today   just joingin today Icon_minitimeWed Sep 03, 2008 11:26 am

Hi and welcome. Sounds great that you have a husband and wife thing going with herps. Look forward to your posts.
Back to top Go down
Elyria

Elyria

just joingin today Empty
PostSubject: just joingin today   just joingin today Icon_minitimeWed Sep 03, 2008 12:04 pm

yes we do I am excited to be here, I am having fun teaching Him about the Diffrent Lizards, he is exsperianced with the snakes, turtles and tortise.....I am so glad to have herps back in the house, when my kids got to a certain age I stopped rescuing and when all the herps were gone then I just did not get any more...now that they are both almost adults I can focus my time on the scaley kids.........

I am excited to learn from others to ......I have my Uro (max) and all though I did a years worth of study on them before getting one I am still at a lost on some of his needs......when I got him the guy told me he would not eat his greens...but being a good mom I put them in there any how....and yep he would not touch them...he was chasing a cricket through his house and he grabbed for it just as it went through the greens, Max missed the cricket and came up with a mouthful of salad and it was funny to watch his reaction I could actually see the thought process,it was like " what the Hell....oh wait these are not so bad...." ....now he will not eat crickets.....I have a honey bird see treat in his house he seems to like to nibble on I like those because he can not spread the seed all over the place......so I have a lot to learn with him .....

so any one have thoughts post it in the uro section I would love some Ideas....He is on red sand right now which I hate mostly because he is stained red , and I am not real fond of sand for certain creatures, any one have a good sugestion on what to put him on he loves to dig and bourrow so I want to keep him on some sort of substrate he can dig in .....I do not think ingestion is an issue because his greens are in a dish but I would like to put him on something other than red sand....
Back to top Go down
kristy55303

kristy55303

just joingin today Empty
PostSubject: welcome uro:   just joingin today Icon_minitimeWed Sep 03, 2008 12:24 pm

well....i have a question...how do you suppliment the reptile ? just curious. i have a friend in colorado that knows a lot about uro's. they recently got out of the dart business due to having their son so are focusing on breeding some very healthy reptiles. I have never once received a sick dart from them, nor have i ever had any fecals run up dirty....they will be having a website added soon.

lucky you....my husband works a lot for his 6 figure income so i'm left with all the responsibility of my dart collection. they are a very fun hobby, help with conservation keeping the blodline info and registering them on twi.org in the amphibian stewards network, and one day i hope to break even and have a very nice vendor website up and vend at the shows.

thats probably why i posted my wanted add in the darts section as we have a bottom level we are willing to rent out or free...very nice home....in exchange for help. you'd have to read it to know where i am coming from. I do have one potential applicant with a background in zoo displays who also breeds chinchillas, we are just seeing if this is what she wants to do. after all, i have made the ten thousand dollar plus investment to whomevers advantage Wink

i can see if my breeders have got their website up. i belive they are breeding chamelons, geckos, uro's, beardies and a few others she didnt recommend around children lol.

kristy:)
Back to top Go down
Elyria

Elyria

just joingin today Empty
PostSubject: Supplement was just joingin today   just joingin today Icon_minitimeWed Sep 03, 2008 1:01 pm

I am Assuming you mean calcium and vitimin supplements....

well first off he has a high quality UVB light of course....and I do take all my kids...that need day light outside and allow them to bask in the natural sunlight, I keep their food variety moving so that it is not all just greens, I give my omnivors and vegitarian a good variety of fruits and veggies like mango, grapes, carrots, romaine, prickly pear cactus leaves when I can find it, dandelions when in season, hibiscus, and the list goes on, I also use a good quality Calcium powder and dust the food and crickets 2 times a week so that they are getting enough,I am hyper sensitive to the MBD thing and really make sure my kids get the good supplements that they need....the only one I worry about is my little blind Plated because of her loss of sight she relys on smell and will not eat crickets or greens that are dusted .....they smell wrong to her and if I put her crickets in anything other than a plastic bag she will not eat them...I have gotten her to eat some high quality dog food with supplment but she soon discovered trick to......she is doing ok but it may come down to a bi-weekly syringe of baby food with supplment in it......

I just lost a poor little Leopard Gecko that I took in an attempt to save to MBD...the owners,lost the gecko for two months and then found it in a closet she still and a good deal of fat on her and was looking really good......an little dehydrated but good.... I went over to check her out and make sure that she was not in need of special care, I spent a great deal of time educating them on the Proper care and pointed out that she had not had her powdered calcium for two months and that they needed to take extra care to get it to her....and also informed them that an adult Leo can not survive on 3 meal worms a week and needed crickets, I told them the amount, the size and that she should eat 3 time a week also because meal worms are so hard to come by right now.... they would have to get the crickets and that they need to get rid of the bright white light bulb and get an infared bulb.......I also told them if she get thinner, lethargic to call me ,they did not listen, by the time I got her she was so thin and frail she was doing better in the closet, no calcium and they got crickets but they were giving 2 adult Leo's 2 pin crickets each 1 time a week.....UGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!! they starved her to the point she was eating the Calci-sand, these are my mother in laws neighbors and I went off the mother of the kid who owned her and told her that just because they have money did not mean that an animal that should have live 10-15 years was disposable..that she was a living creature and should have gotten the proper care and that if they did not feel that they could follow my instructions to just give me the other gecko before they killed him to...... her tail and legs were already showing bad MBD and she would not eat....she did drink water with calcium in it, after a vet visit he thought she would do ok, slowly but ok, that night it became apparent she was badly impacted and before I could get her back to the vet she died......she was full of sand and the thing is MBD is preventable.....I am sorry I am getting on a rant it just really peeves me when people get creatures and do not care to know how to care for them...

the owners by the way are doing better caring for the other gecko and I went to Pet Co and got them a bug box.....you know the little self feeder box....from the bug company and showed the mother the size and that all she needed to do was puch out the spot the says puch out this peice and put the box in and the gecko would eat....just so that make sense the Mother was afraid of the crickets so she did not want to feed or buy them....again UGGGGGGGGG!!!!!! but I am keeping a good eye on them also my mother in law bought the kid a book on how to care for Leo's ...yep they bought a animal and did no research...and we all know how good petco can be at exsplaining the care of animals.......LOL

ok enough rant

Elyria
Back to top Go down
kristy55303

kristy55303

just joingin today Empty
PostSubject: its ok   just joingin today Icon_minitimeWed Sep 03, 2008 1:41 pm

its ok. sounds like you are doing everything good. i wonder if calc gluc soutions mixed accordingly can help with mbd? we use it in darts when they seize, not mine but others', from lack of calcium and vitamin supplimentation. you'd have to get the dosage and proper solution mix from a vets knowledge.....but we drop some drops on the backs of our darts in the hobby....i wonder though for reptiles if there is a way to syringe feed if needed?

sounds like you are a good mom to these animals. pat on the back for u! you probably already know this, but just in case i always remind people that those suppliments even though have an expiration date on them, are only effective for 6 months at which point you should throw out as they degrade at this point. but seeing as you care so much for your animals, you probably already knew this Wink

kristy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Reptile_Dude

Reptile_Dude

Number of posts : 95
Registration date : 2008-08-31

just joingin today Empty
PostSubject: Re: just joingin today   just joingin today Icon_minitimeWed Sep 03, 2008 3:02 pm

Welcome to the forum! Its great to meet new members!
Back to top Go down
REUBER

REUBER

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2008-08-31

just joingin today Empty
PostSubject: Re: just joingin today   just joingin today Icon_minitimeWed Sep 03, 2008 10:46 pm

Welcome to the forum!
Back to top Go down
Bryan

Number of posts : 53

just joingin today Empty
PostSubject: Re: just joingin today   just joingin today Icon_minitimeThu Sep 04, 2008 1:31 am

Welcome! My wife has the lizard duties too Very Happy . I take care of the snakes.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

just joingin today Empty
PostSubject: Re: just joingin today   just joingin today Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

just joingin today
Page 1 of 1