Minnesota Reptiles & Amphibians
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Minnesota Reptiles & Amphibians

A place for Minnesota reptile and amphibian keepers to connect.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Beardie not eating

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Elyria

Elyria

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2008-09-02

Beardie not eating Empty
PostSubject: Beardie not eating   Beardie not eating Icon_minitimeMon Oct 13, 2008 9:07 am

hi all

I have an adult female beardie, she is not eating and when she does she on occasion will make herself throw it up....she had pooed a good deal but will not eat...

I have checked her Temps they are good substate is not an issue
no costipation at this point pooing good although smaller amounts due to not eating much
she seems a little dehydrated but that is from not eating
no parasites
she did eat a couple of pheonix worms last night and 1 cricket....but this little girl can take out several dozen in 1 sitting most of the time...
no wheezing....no snot or coughing...
her eyes are clear and open no pus or goo, but she has that look of not feeling well like a child does when they have a cold.....I have one can beardies catch a cold

any ideas before I schedule a vet visit.....I will take her in a couple of days if she is not better, but if any one can give me anything else I have not thought of please let me know

thanks a bunch

Elyria
Back to top Go down
REUBER

REUBER

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2008-08-31

Beardie not eating Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beardie not eating   Beardie not eating Icon_minitimeMon Oct 13, 2008 3:31 pm

yeah, od [robably check into a vet...

did you change anything recently?

Im having some issues with my baby BD..biting and whatnot

temps 110-120?
Back to top Go down
Elyria

Elyria

Beardie not eating Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beardie not eating   Beardie not eating Icon_minitimeMon Oct 13, 2008 3:40 pm

hey Reuber this is Tammy, Prince charming says HI....

yeah I checked her temps all are just fine..she ate good on a monday and wednesday she would not touch them I thought she my be impacted fromthe grasshoppers my husband gives her so I gave her a goods warm bath and she pooed good so that is no it....she just does not want to hunt.....I do not know what it is........so Like I said unless she gets better in a couple of days off to the vet we go.....

your little guy is still being a terror huh? he sure is cute though, my littlest one is starting that himself I am just handling him and getting him through it.....

Elyria
Back to top Go down
Elyria

Elyria

Beardie not eating Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beardie not eating   Beardie not eating Icon_minitimeTue Oct 14, 2008 1:50 pm

OK

so last night I went over and over with everything that could be Going on with my Dragon, twice checked the temps with two diffrent digital thermometers.....temps ok
checked her over and over to the point I annoyed her into turning her beard jet black and her growling at me letting me know she was rather pissy with me.....
gave her a good warm 15 minute tub soak .......nothing improved her mood or her appitite

so in my mental check list I started looking for changes in her enviroment...I only came up with one.....I had recently moved my beardies to a wall that was away from the windows and in the process gave her a light from another cage.....now these lights have the same reptisun bulb, the produce the same heat .....the only diffrent is that one lamp is silver and one is black.....they are even the same shape and size....I thought what the heck and switched them ...giving her the black one back.....after about two minutes of her getting that lamp back she was hunting and running around her cage and splashing in her pool.......this silly dragon was pouting because I gave her the silver lamp instead of HER black lamp........this morning she was just as happy as a clam

and they say animals are stupid.....LOL I still plan to keep a good eye on her but it seems that she is just fine now.....

Elyria
Back to top Go down
TCBeardies
Admin
TCBeardies

Number of posts : 84
Registration date : 2008-08-29

Beardie not eating Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beardie not eating   Beardie not eating Icon_minitimeTue Oct 14, 2008 4:17 pm

Thats pretty crazy. Maybe just a coincidence? One thing I was thinking is that maybe your beardie is just getting ready for brumation. They will begin to eat less, rest more and appreciate a shorter daylight cycle. Sometimes they just like a little spice up in their diet too. As far as the throwing up goes, thats something that I have not experienced. I suggest still keeping a close eye on her.
Back to top Go down
http://www.tcbeardies.webs.com
Elyria

Elyria

Beardie not eating Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beardie not eating   Beardie not eating Icon_minitimeTue Oct 14, 2008 4:24 pm

yes I do plan on keeping an eye on her,

I had not thought of brumation at this point , that is a thought, I have tried other things and other than the pheonix worms she would not try anything else....

I have not shortened their light cycles yet I was planning on re-setting all my timers this weekend......

I just thought it was a very funny coincidce that she was 100% better after I switched the light....I wonder if the silver color on the outside caused funny reflections.......

any how I do have a vet appt for thursday I am planning on keeping regardless....
Back to top Go down
REUBER

REUBER

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2008-08-31

Beardie not eating Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beardie not eating   Beardie not eating Icon_minitimeTue Oct 14, 2008 10:07 pm

Ha! Hi Tammy!!!

didnt even register it was you!!!

I didnt think of brumation either..even though Paladin is starting to slow down!

Yes Stewey is still being an asshole. drawing blood...he attacks me everytime it opens up...I switched him to another viv and he calmed down a bit then went right back to it...My wife has all but written him off now because of the vicious biting....Ill keep trying with him though..He might just be one of those that doesnt want to be sociable?!?!?

Good to hear yours is doing ok...Was it PS??
Back to top Go down
Elyria

Elyria

Beardie not eating Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beardie not eating   Beardie not eating Icon_minitimeMon Oct 20, 2008 11:10 pm

update

yes it was PS but I took her to the vet and he said she is just fine no issues...so it probley brumation although at this point she is eating great and is as lively as ever I have shorttened every ones light cycle so they will deffinatley be eating less over the next few months

sorry stewie is being a brat...it is the perfect name fir the little guy....draco was giving us a bit of a time but he seems to have settled down......

good luck

Elyria
Back to top Go down
TCBeardies
Admin
TCBeardies

Number of posts : 84
Registration date : 2008-08-29

Beardie not eating Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beardie not eating   Beardie not eating Icon_minitimeThu Oct 23, 2008 7:59 pm

Hey there, make sure stewies temps are not too hot. Excessively hot temps can make dragons more aggressive. Also if you are housing him in anything smaller than a 15g tank he may be having trouble thermoregulating. A 20 long style tank is best for a small dragon. Also try handling him with gloves. It will help you stay calm and relaxed (so if he bites its no big deal) which will in turn help him relax. Once you get the dragon out, you can use your other ungloved hand to rest him on so that he can taste you if he wants and wont just get glove.

Most young dragons that I have purchased have given me a hard time with handling including my newest addition, however the ones I raise myself I never have issues with. I suppose because larger scale breeders dont take the time to handle each individual dragon often. I also do not hold on to my dragons tight when they try to wiggle away but instead leave my hand open and I keep one hand on their tail so if they try to jump I have their tail and can quickly put my open hand underneath them again. It probably sounds like it would hurt them but it doesn't and it helps keep them calm so they dont feel the need to panic and bite. They also seem to handle better when in an unfamiliar situation like mine are less afraid of me when they are in the tub so I try to handle them often during that time. Best of luck.
Back to top Go down
http://www.tcbeardies.webs.com
Sponsored content

Beardie not eating Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beardie not eating   Beardie not eating Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Beardie not eating
Page 1 of 1