Minnesota Reptiles & Amphibians
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Minnesota Reptiles & Amphibians

A place for Minnesota reptile and amphibian keepers to connect.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

bumps and lumps

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
sweeteagurl28

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2009-04-11

bumps and lumps Empty
PostSubject: bumps and lumps   bumps and lumps Icon_minitimeSat Apr 18, 2009 3:33 pm

Well I've had my beardie Cornelius going on two years now. He's a sweetie. But I am curious about his tail. I always joke that he's just kinky and that is why his tail is the way it is, but about three inches into his tail he has a slight kink and another smaller one about 1/2" down. I figured that he got scared at some point in time and started to lose his tail just to realize he was ok, so it stayed that way.

He's had it for a year or so now, and it doesn't seem to be the cause of any problems. When I had brought him into the vet, when he was under a year old, because i was afraid he had an upper respitory infection (which he did, but it was just beginning so we caught it before anything bad happened) and the vet just raved that he was so big and strong for only being 7 months old. He is the father of one babe, Felix. So he's healthy enough to have mated with my girl Blighter.

he has stayed big, strong and healthy. But I was just wondering what the kinks might be (that is if my theory about 'losing his tail' isn't correct).
Thanks,
Catie

p.s. I was also wondering if it was normal for Felix to be 3 months old to the day, and be only 4" long? I've read up and it seems the average for those his age (that aren't german giant bloodlines) is 5-6".
The female (Penelope) I'm getting has german giant blood in her, is around 7", and is 3 weeks younger than Felix.
I just want to make sure he is ok. He's active, alert, and a bit feisty. Just small, and that's fine with me, he'd be my "Pocket Monster"
Back to top Go down
MightyMerlin

MightyMerlin

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2009-01-11

bumps and lumps Empty
PostSubject: Re: bumps and lumps   bumps and lumps Icon_minitimeSat Apr 18, 2009 9:04 pm

The only way he would lose his tail is if it was a serious injury. Now as for the kinks does he live with another dragon if he does it could be a bite mark and it broke his tail. Did you notice if it was bleeding at all around the kinks when you first noticed it or was there any blood around it at all?
Back to top Go down
sweeteagurl28

bumps and lumps Empty
PostSubject: RE:Bumps and Lumps   bumps and lumps Icon_minitimeSat Apr 18, 2009 10:08 pm

He does live with his "wife" Blighter, but the "kinks" appeared before I even got her. They live in a large tank together and live quite peacefully. He is very docile so they get along without any aggression.

There was never any blood or scabbing, an there isn't a scar. I hold him every day, so I would have noticed anything out of the ordinary.

It seems that it is not painful for him, I've tilted his tail to and fro to see if there is any reaction from him...he just falls asleep. And like I said, he's had the kinks for the past year or so. He woddles around the house without any difficulty, has brilliant coloring, and is alert to any movement or sound, just like all the others.

I'm not really worried, so long as it isn't a tumor or something. I was just curious to see what you thought it might be.
Back to top Go down
MightyMerlin

MightyMerlin

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2009-01-11

bumps and lumps Empty
PostSubject: Re: bumps and lumps   bumps and lumps Icon_minitimeSat Apr 18, 2009 10:15 pm

Have you been giving him a calcium suppliment and how old is the UVB light in his cage?
Back to top Go down
TCBeardies
Admin
TCBeardies

Number of posts : 84
Registration date : 2008-08-29

bumps and lumps Empty
PostSubject: Re: bumps and lumps   bumps and lumps Icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2009 6:12 pm

Hi there. It might be helpful if you posted a photo of what you are talking about.

4" is definately small for a 3 month old beardie, that is about hatchling size. Make sure you are dusting his food daily and have a strong 10.0 UVB bulb that is within 10" of your dragon. If he is eating well (about 2 dozen crickets per day as well as greens) and you are supplementing and have a good uvb then he could just be a slow grower (ive heard that leucistic dragons often grow slower and stay smaller). I just purchased a dragon that is not even 3 months and is already 13" and is not from German Giant bloodlines. Beardies can grow much faster under intense rearing conditions (good diet, low stress, proper temps, lighting and supplementation). Can this dragon see your adult dragons? He could be stressed about stumbling onto other dragons territory and not being able to get away.
Back to top Go down
http://www.tcbeardies.webs.com
sweeteagurl28

bumps and lumps Empty
PostSubject: RE:Bumps and Lumps   bumps and lumps Icon_minitimeMon Apr 20, 2009 11:29 am

Once I get home I will take a picture of my "kinky" dragon Cornelius.

He's actually not a lucistic. He's a sandfire/blood x sandfire mix.
But he was from my girl's second batch of eggs. She laid 33 and a month or so later laid another 15. I had set up the first batch in some tupperwear in a sealed off 10 gal aquarium with a heater. The second I was not expecting at all, so when she laid them I kinda panicked, because I didn't have an incubator set up and I only had one 10 gal and water heater. But I put them in another tupperwear with some vermiculite in my chicken egg incubator.

I had not expected them to hatch. And so when the time came that the first batch should have hatched i saw that they were are deflated and was a little disheartened. I went to throw the rotten eggs away and figured i should do the same with the other batch. When I looked through the window I saw this little form dashing around. And just about started crying i was so excited/happy.
He was 3 1/4 inches long when he hatched and I have kept track of his length every two weeks ever since.

He grows on average 1/4 of an inch a week to a week and a half. He's too daft to figure out where his water bowl is so I end up having to pour the water so it trickles down the side of the cage and he laps it up. The same goes for his nutrition pellets, so I kinda have to hand feed him those. I put in three dozen calcium and color inhancing small/pinhead crickets twice a week.
He's kinda weird because he gets afraid of them right away like they are these giant monsters, but eventually he gets in hunter mode.

His belly is always big, so he's not starving, and like I said he's very alert. But i think that if any of the other eggs had hatched he would have been the runt.
His dad (Cornelius) is only 17-18" long, and his mom (Blighter) is 16". So it's not like he comes from a very large line of lizards. I say this because Tiberium (my 11 month boy/lucistic) is already 18-19 inches and he's growing like a weed.
Back to top Go down
sweeteagurl28

bumps and lumps Empty
PostSubject: RE:Bumps and Lumps   bumps and lumps Icon_minitimeMon Apr 20, 2009 11:30 am

i'll post pictures of all of them so you can see what his mommy and daddy are like, as well as see the kinks in the daddy.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

bumps and lumps Empty
PostSubject: Re: bumps and lumps   bumps and lumps Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

bumps and lumps
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Minnesota Reptiles & Amphibians :: Lizard Discussion :: Bearded Dragons-
Jump to: